A LETTER FROM FR BEN
Dear Christ Church Family,
Almost exactly two years ago in September of 2015, Fr. Keith and I presented the vision for planting a new Anglican Parish in Lewisville to our lay leadership body, the Council of Advice.
This parish would not be a separate church from Christ Church, but would simply be a branch Christ Church meeting in Lewisville. It’s almost exactly the same as having a different service time from the 9 and 11a.m. services. Perhaps the best way of describing the “parish” concept is that some people just won’t have to drive as far to get to Christ Church on Sunday mornings.
FOOD PANTRY TEAM UPDATE
We just finished with our first Food Lion store distribution of August. This past weekend we brought back 668 pounds of food from our designated store. We brought back produce, bread, meats, bakery, yogurt, dairy, desserts, cakes and more. Sunday afternoon at 2pm we had what we are now calling a “mini-distribution”, and we sent all of the produce and items that won’t keep back out to our guests. They were thrilled to receive them. Some items are able to be frozen, and they’ll be kept for our upcoming main distribution on the 19th. We will do another “Food Lion weekend” on August 26th and 27th. If you want to help, please let me know. It’s rewarding work and you are helping to feed those in need and we’d love to have you come lend a hand.
Our main distribution day for August is this Saturday, August 19th. We continue to need all of the usual donations, especially bleach, laundry detergent, toilet paper, bath soap and cleaning supplies, as well as:
– canned soups
– frozen and canned vegetables
– frozen single meal items that heat in a microwave for those without an oven
– crackers, saltines, snacks, etc.
– baking supplies – flour, sugar, salt, pepper, spices, etc.
– cleaning supplies – bleach, glass cleaner, furniture polish, general purpose cleaners (like Comet or Fantastic), laundry detergent & laundry pods
– toiletries – soap, shampoo, feminine hygiene products, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper towels
– canned meats – tuna, chicken, salmon, etc.
– peanut butter, jelly
– financial donations to help pay the bill at Second Harvest Food Bank. Please make your check payable to Christ Church and memo line it “For the Food Pantry”.
If you’d like to be more involved with the food pantry, or have any questions about it, please email me at or catch me at church.
FALL 2017 LIFE GROUP SIGN UPS
Summer fun is still going strong, but we’re also planning for the Fall. We’ve kicked off our Fall 2017 Life Group Sign-ups! Sign ups will continue for the remaining Sundays in August (20th, 27th). In general, Life Groups will begin meeting during the 2nd week of September—but please be sure to check with your Life Group Leader for your group’s exact start date. We’re looking forward to regrouping for rich, prayerful fellowship this Fall!
CC LEWISVILLE PARISH UPDATE
Hallelujah! God has answered our many prayers to provide Christ Church Lewisville Parish with a worship space on Sunday mornings. Our first Sunday morning worship service will be Sunday, September 17th at 11am at Sharon United Methodist Church!!
So now, there are a few things I am asking you to prayerfully do:
- Rejoice with us! The Lord has answered our prayers and is expanding His Kingdom. Seldom, if ever, does a new church parish have an existing church building to meet in on Sunday mornings starting out! We believe it is time to follow Him through the doors He continues to open for us.
- Please, if not already, start telling everyone you know in the Lewisville/Clemmons area about Christ Church Lewisville Parish going weekly in September 17th! If they can only come for a season, that is great!
- I’ve submitted a request to our Diocese of Christ our Hope for additional funding for this endeavor for years 2018 and 2019, and for 2020. These funds will directly help us pay for initial things like rent and staff to help get us off the ground. Please PRAY that we get this grant or at least a portion thereof.
- If anyone is interested in knowing how to support Christ Church Lewisville Parish financially or other ways this Fall beyond your normal tithes and offerings to Christ Church, please speak with me directly soon.
- And most importantly, please pray that the Gospel of Jesus Christ will go forth in Lewisville by our efforts!
This is an exciting time, and I am amazed at how God continues to lead and bless this effort of a new parish in Lewisville.
Grace and Peace to you all,
GROWING OUR ALTAR TEAM
Our Altar Team needs more members as we move into Fall 2017. Altar Team members usually serve one Sunday after the 11am service, every 6 weeks, and assist after special services. The Altar Team functions “behind the scenes” and serving provides a wonderful opportunity for spiritual growth through humble service. The Altar Team might be for you if you would like to (1) serve in a quiet yet important way, (2) be involved but don’t feel comfortable “up front”, or (3) would enjoy the opportunity to learn more about the elements and symbolism liturgy. If you think this team may be a good fit for you or someone you know, please contact Peyton Wright for more information.
COLLECTING SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD
Please begin preparing your boxes now! Ages for boxes are 2-4, 5-9 and 10-14. We will not be collecting shoe boxes until the end of October, but we wanted everyone to know that Walmart, Staples, etc. are having their back to school sales right now. Some of the most needed items are school supplies. Often, children attend schools or are in orphanages but don’t have necessary supplies. Many of them can be picked up for under $1 if you purchase them now. Please contact Paula Berry or Janet Longstreth if you have questions.
OUR A/V TEAM NEEDS TO GROW
Do you know how to use a computer? Then you are a perfect fit for our Audio/Visual Team. Please help us grow our volunteers for Sunday mornings. Contact Deacon Jim ASAP to learn more.
RAISING FUND FOR OUR NEW ROOF
Dear Christ Church Family,
First, “Thanks be to God” for Christ Church! It is a blessing to serve this Christ-worshiping, vibrant, thriving, and generous Church. Perhaps the biggest blessing is the people who make up our congregation. Many of you have given—and continue giving—sacrificially to Christ Church, and we THANK YOU so much. Your faithful generosity to the Lord has enabled Christ Church Winston-Salem to stay financially healthy and also expand the Kingdom through efforts such as planting Church of the Good Shepherd in Davie County and starting Christ Church Lewisville Parish. None of these things would be possible without your willingness to give generously and faithfully to God and His Kingdom.
With that said, there is a new and pressing need for our humble building. Recently, we incurred wind damage to the roof at Christ Church. When the roofer came to make the repair, he informed us that we MUST begin thinking about replacing the roof sooner rather than later. It has reached the point in age where the roof shingles are breaking down and have only about two years of life left in them. We anticipate more shingles coming off in the future and more roof leaks.
Randy Ogburn, Christ Church’s Building Maintenance Team Leader, obtained estimates from four professional roofing companies for this project. Our Shepherd Team and Council of Advice reviewed the proposals and concluded that the total projected cost for the new roof (including labor) would be $23,000, essentially depleting our current building fund. After much prayerful discussion, we’ve decided it’s best to raise the funds for this project over the next 18 months with a goal to fully reroof Christ Church by Fall 2018. While $23,000 sounds like a lot of money, to put this in perspective, if 12 persons/ families at Christ Church were willing to give $100 more a month above and beyond their tithe, we could meet this goal very quickly. We have many other projects at Christ Church that we would also like to tackle in the near future—for instance, fixing the front walkway to resemble our side yard area, renovating the basement and updating the women’s bathroom—however, it’s prudent that we first address the leaking roof (that covers the entire building) before moving forward with other projects.
We hope you will join us and consider giving extra toward our new roof. If you are moved to give radically and support this need, please be sure to reference “Roofing Fund” on your checks placed in the offering on Sunday mornings. THANK YOU!
The Revd. Ben Sharpe
Rector, Christ Church
FROM THE TREASURER
Thank you for your additional contributions to fund the Building Fund for the Roof and the Designated Fund for specific ministries (e.g., Food Pantry, Lewisville Parish, Refugee Fund, Sudanese Ministry, Youth Fund, Clergy Support). Your generous support is very important to meeting these specific needs. You can help us properly account for your contributions by writing separate checks for each purpose. We have separate bank accounts for the Operating Fund, the Designated Fund, and the Building Fund. Checks that specify a split between two or more of these funds complicates deposits and accounting. Separate checks make record keeping easier and more reliable. If you ever have questions about our budget and finances, please let me know. I will be glad to provide answers and information. ~Tom McAllister
Let’s watch God answer our prayers. At the state of the church meeting Father Ben asked us all to keep prayer journals over the next year so we have a record of the way God is moving in our lives. In the front window of the church there is a glass jar. This jar is for us to watch God answer each other’s prayers and be encouraged. There are two small containers of rocks—one next to the glass jar in the Sanctuary and one upstairs in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Atrium for our children. As God answers your prayers take a rock from one of the small containers and place it in the jar. Feel free to take a rock home and use it as a reminder to pray, and bring it back when answered to add to the jar.
WE ARE A PRAYING CHURCH
There are going to be many offerings as we begin our new year with an emphasis on PRAYER. Please join us as we pray together…
- Every Sunday During Communion, our Prayer Team members will be located at the front or back of the sanctuary. Please be encouraged to go and request prayer for yourself or for a loved one, for such things as physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual healing; employment, financial or relational issues; the Lord’s specific guidance in an area where you need clarity. If you permit, they will lay hands on you (usually on shoulders) and /or anoint you with a dab of oil on your forehead. If you choose to forgo the laying on of hands/and anointing with oil, they will still be glad to pray with you.
- Every Sunday Before & After Worship, our Prayer Team members will also be available for extended times of prayer upstairs. Just find a Prayer Team member and ask!
- Every Other Sunday at 10:30am: Anglican Prayer Rosary (meets upstairs).
- Weekday Morning Prayer at 7am: Morning Prayer with the Book of Common Prayer
- 1st & 3rd Sundays at 7pm: Have you tried our Virtual Contemplative Prayer? This focused time of prayer is held on the 1st & 3rd Sundays of every month from 7-7:40 pm. We meet “virtually” by conference call. Contact Jan Hinton for details.
- 1st Thursday of each month at 12noon: Don’t forget we are Praying for the Church (Local Church, Diocese and worldwide Church) on the 1st Thursday of each month at 12:00noon for one hour. Contact Amanda Rice.
- Saturdays at 8am: Morning Prayer with the Book of Common Prayer
- 8/19, 9am: August Food Pantry Distribution
- 8/24, 5:45pm: Teaching on Prayer followed by extended Evening Prayer at 6:30pm
- 9/14, 6pm: Burgers & Big Ideas: Parenting a Church Part 2
- 10/19, 6pm: Burgers & Big Ideas: Foundations for Christian Dying
- 11/2-11/4: SYNOD 2017 in McLean, VA
If you would like to place an announcement in the weekly parish notes, please turn it in by 5:00 pm on Monday. Please send the announcement via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as you would like it to be worded.